Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fat Tuesday: Figs


Pin It!
I remember my mom telling me about picking figs from the trees in her backyard growing up in Arizona and just sucking the fresh fruit. It turns out there's a fig tree in the park across from my new apartment, so basically my backyard, and they should be ripe by the end of august! The more I thought about those figs, the more ideas I had. Doesn't a fig and date combo sound delicious? And because I lack patience, a few days after I found out about that little tree, I made a quick trip to the grocery store to buy just a few before our local figs are in season.

This cake doesn't have the traditional fancy pants american presentation with rich frosting and gooey filling, just a nice big blop of fresh whipped cream on top, and it sure is delicious! Oh, and the figs add a unique sweet flavor, too, so don't skip those even if they're hard to find! You'll want to chop at least 5 for the batter...and maybe a few more to taste while you work...

Date and Fig Spice Cake
(adapted from A World of Cake)

1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
5 eggs

2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves

3/4 c. half and half
1/4 c. water

1 c. dates and figs, chopped
1/2 c. pecans, chopped

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure eggs are incorporated fully before adding the next one.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together. In another large, separate bowl, combine liquid ingredients and whisk together.

Slowly alternate adding dry ingredients and liquid ingredients to creamed mixture in about 5 additions. Gently stir in dates/figs and pecans.

Line bottom of 6" or 8" squaring baking pan with parchment paper, spray sides with nonstick spray and pour in batter. Bake at 350 for 45-55min.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! I want a slice! Do you sweeten the cream for the topping, or is the cake sweet enough?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...