I'm gonna brag to you a little bit. I got this cast iron skillet for $2! Talk about a steal. I've been coveting these skillets for years and now I'm the proud owner of a perfectly seasoned 9-incher. My life is awesome.
The only bad part about it is the guilt trip I've been getting sent on every time I reach into the cupboard and merely glance in Skillet's direction. I'm sorry I've been avoiding you, but today is finally the day!
Ginger Plum Skillet [click to print]
makes one 9" cake
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 medium plums, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 T. coarse sugar
- 2-3 T. candied ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 2-3 T. apple jelly
1) Preheat oven to 375 F.
2) Whisk together flour, ginger, powder, soda, salt and pepper; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together extract and milk; set aside.
3) Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat until well combined. Alternately add flour and milk mixtures in about 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4) Pour batter into skillet. Arrange plum slices on batter surface. Sprinkle coarse sugar and candied ginger over top and bake 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Using a pastry brush, coat top of cake with this layer of apple jelly and allow to cool in skillet.
Source: Adapted from Stacey Snacks Online