Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blueberry Filling and Lemon Zested Buttercream


Pin It!
I love comments and requests! So this one's for you, my dear "Anonymous" (Mom, is that you?).

By Christmas last year, I'd already been bit by the baking bug. Okay, fine. I was bit, stung and severely infected by that baking bug long before then, I guess I was just finally admitting it to myself. In any case, I got this great book that has some tricky recipes and techniques with several pages of easier, more basic baking staples at the end. And in case you forgot how much everyone loves the basic-fresh-blueberry filling-lemon-zested-buttercream-lemony-cake, just look at these guys, they're so happy!


You know you need these.

Fresh Blueberry Filling   [click to print]
1/4 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
2 T. cornstarch
3 c. fresh or frozen blueberries (the original recipe says to chop the berries, but I left mine whole since they were just little guys)

Combine sugar, salt and water in a pot over low heat; stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add cornstarch and blueberries, stirring continuously, and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The mixture will get a little thicker as it cools.


Lemon Zested Buttercream   [click to print]
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter, unsalted and softened
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
2-3 T. milk
1/4 c. lemon zest

Cream the sugar, butter, juice and extract. Slowly add milk, a tsp at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. (If you get it too thin, add a little extra powdered sugar.) Add lemon zest and mix until well combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...