Let me just tell you one more time. I love holidays! Seriously, there might not be anything better than cutesy themed dessert and containers filled with festive sprinkles and sharing some goodies with friends! These Love Monsters don't take too long to bake or assemble and they're just so cute, who wouldn't wanna get bitten by the love bug today? Happy Valentine's Day!
Cherry Vanilla Love Monsters [click to print]
Makes about 36 whoopie pies
For the cake
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 c. flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 pkg. candy eyes (I used Wilton Candy Eyes)
For the filling
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 jar (7.5oz) marshmallow fluff
- 1 c. cherry vanilla compote (or pie filling)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2) In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, incorporating well between each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, powder, salt and soda; gradually add to batter in about three additions. Beat until just combined.
3) Scoop heaping teaspoons of batter onto prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Add candy eyes to half of the cookies, placing eyes about 1/3 of the way towards the center of the cookie (otherwise the eyes melt when they bake). Bake one sheet of cookies at a time for about 10 minutes or until edges are just barely golden. Allow to cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.