Thursday, June 7, 2012

German Chocolate Lara Bites (GF, no sugar added)


Pin It!
Happy National Running Day! A day late...sorry. But I made you this great and fast and easy and chewy and moist treat that's also great for you and great to refuel on a long run! You're welcome. 


The first time I ever ate a Lara Bar was last fall when I ran my first race ever---The Baltimore Half Marathon. Woot! I saw these bars in the store before and thought they looked kind of suspicious and overly healthy, but when they're giving them away for free, I might as well at least taste them. So I did. And it turns out they're so good it's worth


Turns out they really do taste like cookies! And trust me, as the girl who can practically inhale a jar full of charming Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter in fewer days than I care to admit, I don't throw that compliment around lightly. Plus, I love the fact that the sweetness in these little bites comes from the dates, no added sugar, so it doesn't cramp up your stomach when you're running. But running or not, these are pretty great. My favorite is straight out of the freezer. Yum!

German Chocolate Lara Bites (Gluten Free!) [click to print]
Makes 10-12 bites
  • 3/4 c. pitted dates
  • 1/2 c. pecans or walnuts, toasted
  • 2 T. cocoa powder
  • 2 T. shredded coconut, unsweetened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp. salt
Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until well combined. Firmly press heaping tablespoons of mixture into bite-size silicone mold (I used a brownie bites mold, which I thought was silly until I got one, so don't judge) or roll into balls. 

Source: Slightly adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...