Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter


Pin It!

Remember how I told you before that I used to not like chocolate? And how I've changed my ways? Well, this is a glorious day...Happy National Chocolate Chip Day!


I'm sitting here, trying to exercise self-restraint, to avoid diving directly into this jar of creamy, dreamy Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter. It has so many of my favorite ingredients...sugar, browned butter, vanilla, chocolate...oh man! I'm gonna have to finish this post in the other room.


Okay. Like I said, a key ingredient in this recipe is browned butter. Don't let that scare you! Even though it sounds all fancy, it's not that difficult to make. And the resulting fragrance and flavor is absolutely intoxicating. No, really. Remember how I had to leave the room a minute ago? 


While you guys all try this recipe out, I'm gonna remind myself that I just worked out for nearly an hour this afternoon and that it is now time to exercise something called self-restraint. If you're at a loss for how to use cookie butter, here are a few suggestions, courtesy of me and my friend Pinterest:
  • Frosting for your favorite cupcakes
  • Swimming pool for Teddy Grahams (or spread it on graham crackers, but aren't bears and cookie butter much more appealing?)
  • Sandwich cookie filling
  • Bake some Cookie Butter Funfetti Triple Chip Bars
  • Whip up a batch of homemade Cookie Butter Cups
  • Spread a layer on your sandwich
  • Swirl it into Cheesecake
  • Devour by the spoonful
Enjoy!


Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter [click to print]
Makes about 2 cups
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter
  • 2/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1-1/3 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 c. plus 2 T. heavy cream
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips
Heat butter in heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Continue heating, stirring occasionally, until butter turns a golden brown color and smells kind of caramely. The butter will start out with really big, loud bubbles sizzling all over the place, then gradually calm down (about 10-15 minutes) and brown. Remove from heat and scrape browned butter into mixing bowl and allow to come to room temperature. 

Add sugars to butter and cream until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add flour, vanilla and salt and mix until well combined. Mix in cream and chocolate chips; add additional cream, one tablespoon at a time, if you want a thinner consistency. 

Source: Inspired by Cupcake Project; Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you pointed out this as a day of National Celebration! (I wonder if there is a National Browned Butter Day?) This gooey goodness is actually easy! I love it that it's homemade, too. Thanks for the links on fun ways to use this (besides by the spoonful!) Who wants to exercise self-restraint with this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. National Browned Butter Day? Now that would be a holiday I could love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to the presence of the cream, I assume it has to be refrigerated after? How long do you think it will keep for?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...