Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Creamiest, Richest Chocolate Ice Cream Ever


Pin It!

And, drumroll, please...no ice cream maker required! That means all you have to do is cook the base on the stovetop, whisk it up and freeze it up. Surprise!



So you have absolutely no reason to not make this dreamy stuff on a sweltering high-80-something-degree day in mid-April. And that's good news.



I would apologize for the overwhelming ratio of awesome photos to entertaining dialogue, but I'm not sorry. I was too busy stuffing my face to be more clever.


It's really a matter of self-preservation. My dear K-House still hasn't turned off the heat and on the a/c so it's a bit warm up here on the top floor! I basically have to consume such an exorbitant amount of ice cream to simply counteract the extreme heat so I don't pass out.



I'm sure you can come up with a similar excuse.


Oh, and thanks to that sweet sister of mine for (mostly) patiently taking hundreds of pictures this weekend. What can I say, I was in the baking mood and she's got mad photo skills. Woot.


And, yes, those are rainbow sprinkles showering down from the heavens. 


Creamiest, Richest Chocolate Ice Cream Ever (no ice cream maker required!) [click to print]
Makes about 1 quart
  • 14 oz. (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
  • 3/4 c. whole milk
  • 3/4 c. heavy cream
  • 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 c. cocoa powder (use a really good kind, it makes a difference)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or extract)
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 tsp. potato starch*
  • 2 T. cold water
In heavy bottomed saucepan, whisk together condensed milk, whole milk and cream. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add chocolate, cocoa, vanilla and salt. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the cocoa is fully dissolved.

In small bowl, stir together starch and water until dissolved. Whisk into chocolate mixture and return to medium heat. Cook mixture, whisking constantly; be sure to scrape sides and bottom to prevent burning. Continue cooking and whisking until mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes. It will thickly coat a spoon and be about the consistency of warm Nutella and if you don't know what that looks like, you aren't living.

Pour mixture into heat proof bowl and allow to cool uncovered for 30 minutes. When bowl is cool enough to handle, cover with plastic wrap (don't press to surface of chocolate) and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from refrigerator and whisk to dissolve any skin that may have formed. Press plastic wrap against surface of ice cream to create an airtight seal. Cover bowl with lid or another piece of plastic wrap and freeze until firm enough to scoop.

*Can substitute with cornstarch if you want, but I prefer potato starch because it has a less noticeable flavor.

Source: Adapted from A Cup of Jo

3 comments:

  1. They make Vanilla Bean Paste?!? WHATTTT?
    I must go find some. :)

    P.s. I can't wait to eat your treats soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, oh, my, oh, my...I want to try that ice cream. It looks so chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanilla bean paste is a dream come true. I love it sooooo much! And I can't wait to feed you treats soon!

    And this ice cream is so very very chocolately. You'll probably need to share it with a few people, though, whenever you decide to make it...it really is extremely rich!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...