I know, you're rolling your eyes at me right now. As I type C-O-C-O-N-U-T you're quietly calling me a N-U-T under your breath. But I promise you, coconut is completely appropriate for the middle of fall when you mix it into a warm, moist loaf of banana bread!
I've just been in a coconut-craving, impatient sort of mood lately so my vote was for something quick and easy and delicious. And since the black bananas have been piling up in my freezer lately, Coconut Banana Bread was the logical choice. Plus, it doesn't even have any added butter or oil so you can easily rationalize that you're eating an entire fruit basket as you devour this loaf!
Coconut Banana Bread (butter and oil free!) [click to print]
Makes one loaf
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 c. flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 medium bananas, extremely ripe and mashed (about 1 c.)
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
2) Stir together applesauce, sugar and eggs until smooth.
3) In separate bowl, whisk together flour, powder, soda and salt; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together bananas, milk and vanilla. Alternately add flour and banana mixtures to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in coconut.
4) Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 60-75 minutes or until top is golden and springs back lightly when touched. Cool about 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Adapated from Fat Girl Trapped In a Skinny Body