I made this cake for the first time a while ago, but it somehow disappeared before I ever got a chance to take pictures. Hm. I guess that just goes to show that it really is perfect for snacking.
This cake has a beautiful dark chocolate color and is very moist, thanks to the yogurt, and, on top of that, it's really fast and easy to make!
Chocolate Yogurt Cake [click to print]
Makes one 8" square cake
- 6 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 c. vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. plus 2 T. flour
- 1/4 c. plus 2 T. cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Line bottom of 8" square baking pan with parchment paper or coat generously with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2) In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter and sugars. Cream until well combined. Add egg and vanilla; mix until completely incorporated. Stir in yogurt and milk.
3) In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa and salt. Gradually add to batter in about 3 additions, mixing until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan just slight and top of cake springs back when lightly touched.
4) Allow cake to cool about 10 minutes in pan before removing to serving dish. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm. (P.S. This is still good cold, but who doesn't love warm cake?!)
Source: The Pastry Chef's Baking